August 16, 2008

EXPLANATION PLEASE



Apparently a plan has been in the works for some time to construct a "Circle Line" linking all the L lines into a much wider loop so we don't have to get everywhere by going through THE Loop. Why was I not informed? What community meetings do I have to attend to help convince the powers that be to get started on this thing? Did they already give up on this plan entirely?

Chime in any time, people.

I've been wetdreaming about this since I moved here (though in my head I called it the White Line, because most other colors are already taken, and it makes me think of that catchy song, which is great as long as you ignore the drug reference). This would be almost as good as that bike freeway I'm always obsessing about. Gaper's Block has the full story - from 2005. So, who can tell me whether anything has been decided about this since then?

Link: Here's the ancient line I found, straight from the horse's mouth (note the troubling date on that map)...

And a more detailed analysis, again from way back in 2002.

I agree with Gaper's Block that this project would make the whole city an immeasurably better place to live if they would just get started on it.

3 Comments:

At 8/18/2008 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for such a large city you guys don't have very many lines. those things must be damn crowded come rush hour.
-h

 
At 8/18/2008 11:04 PM, Blogger Leah said...

No more crowded than any other subway system I've encountered. Chicago is a lot more car-friendly than NYC or SF, so we've got all these train lines reasonably full (sometimes it does get completely impossible, though) PLUS we're at L.A. levels of car traffic congestion on the freeways, so you've got to factor in those pampered jerks on the freeway when you picture all five million of us trying to get home at night.

Here's the current system in case you're curious what I'm on about: http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/fwebmaptrain.gif

 
At 8/18/2008 11:08 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Sorry, three million urban population; ten million metro. A lot of those suburban commuters who don't drive use the Metra commuter rail service not pictured on these maps (Metra:BART::CTA:Muni) if they don't drive.

They get double-decker trains with conductors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home