August 23, 2006

Photos to be added when/if I feel like it

Lord, it's 90 degrees out there and I am a first class wuss about it.

We went to the Navy Pier today to see the Smith Museum of Stained Glass (accessible by a free trolley full of dopey tourists in shortpants. I gave Hayley my best rendition of "gooble gobble, one of us!" so she'd feel more, *ahem* comfortable being the only local aboard). We learned how stained glass is made AND I BET YOU WISH I WOULD TELL YOU, DON'T YOU?

We also skulked around the main hostel downtown, in case anything interesting was happening. I signed up for a field trip of sorts to a free jazz concert tomorrow. Hopefully they won't demand to see an ISIC card or a room key from the hostel because I'm a MOLE in their midst, and faking that I don't speak English would not work with foreigners around. "You only speak Russian? That's okay, Sergey here will translate."

The Tribune Tower is based on the Rouen Cathedral, so picture, if you will, a skyscraper that's a cathedral. I love that freakin' Tribune Tower. They embedded stones from famous places into the facade (Elsinore, Edinburgh Castle, etc.) and when we looked in the front window where there's a radio station, Jesse Jackson was sitting in there not six feet away from us.

We wandered further and stopped in the middle of a bridge over the river (sorry Christian, didn't note down which one) and I planted one foot on either side of the center seam to take in the view. I think I'm thoroughly sated with the historical/touristic activities of the past week and am ready to settle down and try doing whatever it is that normal people do on vacations. What was that ugly word? Relaxing? It's time for some of that, since I've fairly exhausted a long list of things to stare at and above all, I've had the deep dish pizza. They really do not mess around here. That pizza means BUSINESS. Oh mercy. It's grand.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8/23/2006 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the Tribune Building. And the girls I've taken past it while on dates :-) Best part of Michigan Ave, by far. If you walk over towards State and along Rush, there's a number of decent restaurants and some out-of-towner bars (near Division).

While you were in the area, I hope you managed to find the Riverwalk that follows the banks of the Chicago River. It leads to this marina-ish thing called the Odgen Slip and eventually, Navy Pier.

OK, gotta stop playing remote tour guide and let you figger it out for yourself. Glad to see that things are sitting with you well though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home