September 18, 2006

Last Day

I'm going home tomorrow, so I felt the need to spend all day aimlessly wandering the city. Nothing monumental, just a long walk from park to park, wilting in the heat. Five weeks far away from home have taken their toll on me. I can't possibly look at another painting or discover where one more subway train leads. I want to hole up in my own room and refuse to learn anything for a few days. And for the love of god, I need a haircut, and about fifteen showers.

I was in the market for comfort food, so I took myself out for some curry off 23rd Street. They played "The Sloop John B" on the stereo, and though this has been the best rather than the worst trip I've ever been on, I sipped my beer, sank into the bench, and thought, "ain't it the god damn truth."

One last little jaunt led me to 23rd and Fifth to see the Flatiron Building. Tired or not, I can't say no to Mister Daniel Burnham. If you're like me, you love to throw around antiquated phrases like "twenty-three skiddoo," whether or not you can find a suitable context for them, let alone understand them. Legend has it, this one originated with the Flatiron Building, whose odd shape creates a wind tunnel on 23rd Street. Back around the turn of the (20th) century, men would hang around in the street to catch glimpses of women's ankles, exposed by the wind, and the cops would tell 'em to skiddoo.

I've also read that the phrase actually originated in Chicago. Dammit, New York, you can't own everything. In any case, my 23rd year is going to skiddoo this week, so I'll let it mean that for the moment. Looks like it can mean whatever you want, really: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_skiddoo.

Anyway. Much to the city's credit, it's got a Lego rendering of Chewbacca, which I saw in F.A.O. Schwartz today.

Everything in the store cost about $500, except the life-size stuffed moose, which was something like $1,500. I am bewildered by this place. I think I need one of those classic I <3 NY t-shirts modified to say "I honestly feel sorta indifferent toward NY."

Don't listen to me. I've been on the road too long.

San Francisco, open your golden gate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home