April 19, 2007

Odd Obsession


My roommate and I have been frequenting Odd Obsession lately. The place is a cinephile's wet dream - every obscure foreign, cult, documentary, or seemingly impossible to find movie you wish you knew about. (wow, why haven't I checked for those Degrassi High videos yet?) It's a great place to wander aimlessly. Why wait three days for Netflix to deliver yet another Kinski/Herzog movie (hey, I'm not addicted to them. I can quit any time I want) when you can run right in to a store where an implausibly adorable man will recommend something you'd otherwise have never heard of?

We were feeling festive, so we cased the Bollywood shelf and ended up with the '70s mob thriller Don. We knew from the opening credits that it would indeed be thrilling, since someone was credited with the title "Thrills" right there. Forget what I said about becoming a piratologist. I have a new dream job to pursue.

The movie was pretty fabulous, though it was never completely clear what line of organized crime Don ran. He tossed a lot of exploding briefcases at folks. Most everybody got shot at. Someone punched through a brick wall. And yes, Don danced. In a tiger mask. That must have been how the gang got so wealthy. I know I'd give all kinds of rupees to see an act like that.

I won't even get started about the scene in which a crippled tightrope walker has to get back on the rope to carry his two kids to safety.

Odd Obsession, I like you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4/19/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Kibblesmith said...

Also, the only store brave enough to carry Mr.'s Thing & Place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home