August 27, 2006

HELLO WISCONSIN

Road trip!



No, we did not take a road trip to Rockford yesterday. Oh no. We decided that we absolutely required to go all the way to Wisconsin. (I'm sure everyone has that mood pretty often.) So, off we went through the mist and rain to the world-famous House on the Rock. I wasn't even aware that this place was real until about a year ago. Until then, I'd been convinced that my memories of it were all a series of complex childhood nightmares. I've got some photos uploaded (more to come) but you really do have to take in the experience for real to understand what profound crawling jeebies the place will instill in your spine. I'm amazed it's not wider known (Neil Gaiman fans at least know it from American Gods), like the Winchester Mystery House. There's the world's biggest carousel, a life-size papier mache whale/squid showdown, collections of dolls, antiquities, and room after room of instruments that play themselves - all worked into a musty subterranean labyrinth with brightly carpeted walls.







Okay, I'm feeling about like Hayley did when she walked into the squid/whale room:




So I'll stop here and just post the link to the rest of my photos (still have more to add to it yet).

As our travel companion Daniel said, the House on the Rock is ground zero for Crazy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. Sorry the call got cut off. This building has no reception, and I'm unable to use my email or instant messanger, either.

So - you want to see snakes on a plane tonight? Feel free to leave me a message at http://psycheluna.livejournal.com/143083.html - which will probably be the only way to contact me while I am at work this week.

- Hayley

 
At 8/28/2006 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Infinity Room at House on the Rock was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Then, about five minutes later, we walked by it from the outside and it just seemed kind of sad and pathetic. The carousel is pretty amazing, though, or at least it was when I was five. I know exactly what you mean about the strange childhood memories surrounding that place; I had visions of those dolls in the glass cases coming after me for years, and was only recently able to attribute them to anything substantive. Weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home